What is the medium of exchange in the economy of the Kingdom of God? (Clue – it’s a Who, not a what)
John 16:15 (NIV84)
15 All that belongs to the Father is mine. That is why I said the Spirit will take from what is mine and make it known to you.
“Pack half as much and take twice as much money.” I heard these words from the mouth of a seasoned missionary. No more wisdom is to be found anywhere for global travel. Here are a few reasons why:
- You likely pack for comfort, trying to take home with you, so you pack too much.
- You think you know the conditions of where you are going, but if you’ve never been there, you are likely to misjudge. Your analysis will result in traveling too heavy.
- When you carry too much, you lessen the enjoyment of the journey.
- When you travel around the world and don’t end up using what you carried, you will regret it.
Twice as much money means, to me, having a convertible supply. On our road trip to Alaska, all across Canada they only used “chip” cards. We had to gas up every few hours and handling Canadian currency was cumbersome and slow. A chip card did the trick because it was convertible for what we needed. I didn’t have to bother with the exchange rate. I inserted the card, put in the pin, and away we went. I found I can be flexible if I have a medium of exchange. I don’t need to pack food if I have money to exchange. I don’t need to worry about clothes, I can pick some up along the way. Money allows me to rent a room, pay for a friend’s lunch, or a hospital visit if necessary. Having a means of exchange is more important than having things.
What is the means of exchange in the Kingdom of God? The Holy Spirit. I say this because, in Matthew, the word says, “How much more will the Father give good gifts to those who ask Him?” but, in Luke, the word says, “How much more will the Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him?” The Holy Spirit is the converter, the medium of exchange. Jesus says, “He will take what is mine and make it known to you.” When we are confronted with people we don’t know and circumstances too difficult, or are called before authorities on account of the Name of Jesus, he says, “Don’t worry what you will say to them, in that moment the Holy Spirit will tell you what to say.” The One who knows everything about everything and abides on the inside of us gives us the exact words which must be spoken in our time and space. God’s will, enacted by God’s words, spoken from our mouths, which have learned to cooperate with the Holy Spirit. He is our means of exchange in this world. Spiritual words spoken over human tongues creating spiritual results. How do we tune in, turn on, and turn up what He wants to do in our lives? How do we “pack half as much and carry twice as much money (means of exchange)?” We fast and pray.
We reduce our dependence on our senses and increase our awareness of our inner man. Turn down your plate, tune in with praise. Fasting with praise brings you a heightened awareness of the nearness of God. Answered prayer is like a drink of water and experiencing God is simple as walking across the room. Praise becomes the living fountain it was meant to be. Rather than trudging through the wet cement of your senses, your spirit man soars above all earthly hindrances, finding new strength and fuel for expression.
- What is the Holy Spirit saying to you about where you are headed? Write it down, even if it is only one or two words.
- Are there things you have worried about and created baggage for yourself, which the Holy Spirit wants you to leave behind?
- What new strength has the Lord promised you for the Fast which you are looking forward to receiving?